Lead with Literacy Fundraiser
Time & Location
About the Event
APRIL 22, 2021 7:00 - 8:15 PM
On April 22, 2021, from 7:00 P.M. to 8:15 P.M., community advocates, supporters, and fun-seekers from across the state, the country, and the world will come together for a night of virtual entertainment called Lead With Literacy, a fundraiser benefiting the RGVLC. Lead With Literacy will be hosted by NPR’s Krys Boyd, host of Think!, and features A Way With Words hosts Martha Barnette and Grant Barrett providing a hilarious and interactive Texas-centric version of their national hit radio show and podcast. Special guests include WFAA news anchor Cynthia Izaguirre and John Quinones, host of What Would You Do? Lead With Literacy will be THE online event of the year!
You all know that since 2006, the Rio Grande Valley Literacy Center (RGVLC) has been improving the lives of adults affected by low literacy in Hidalgo County. The global pandemic has impacted literacy efforts more than anyone could have imagined. The adults we serve, those struggling with reading and basic skills, are looking for help. Organizations like ours, those best suited to help, are severely under-resourced.
But YOU can change that.
Through your support, you help lift families up so businesses can hire, people can work, and families can thrive. RGVLC staff members and volunteers significantly change lives year-round, providing support services such as:
- Direct service to adult learners who attend basic reading and high school equivalency classes
- English as a Second Language (ESL) classes
- Preparation sessions for the U.S. citizenship exam
- Information and referral services provided through the Adult Education and Literacy Call Center
- Coordination of training and technical support for teachers, tutors, and volunteers throughout DFW
- And so much more